Guide for International Students in Canada

Organizing your first year of study in Canada is not easy, particularly if you've never been to our vast, beautiful country before.
There's so much to worry about: do you be on or off-campus? How are you going to get connected? Will you need a Social Security Number (SIN) number? What are the best banking choices for international students in Canada? And the list is moving on.

Get Insurance

It is vital to take insurance for international students in Canada as paying the hospital bills can turn out to be a huge burden. One of the best options is to get Global Allianz insurance. Get yourself insured as you would not want to give up a big portion of your income in the bills.

Find Accommodation

The first thing you need to do is decide if you want to live on campus or off-campus. Both are accompanied by their pros and cons, and your decision depends on your budget and preferences.

On-Campus Housing

Many colleges provide campus or close campus housing. You're more than likely to be able to choose from dormitories/residence halls, townhouses or apartments. Dormitories typically involve sharing a room with one or two other students and are generally the most cost-effective and spacious alternative. You will have exposure to communal kitchens, toilets and laundry services, and you will be able to buy hot meals from the dining room or pre-order meals.

This is the perfect choice for the first and second-year students since it would be convenient to make new friends and save time and resources that will otherwise be wasted on getting to and from school, utilities and food. You can also have access to 24/7 housing assistance at most universities.

Off-Campus Housing

Living off-campus can be perfect if you want to distinguish home and campus life and strive for a bit more space and flexibility.
This is also a perfect choice if your program is short and you only need housing for a couple of months. However, it is necessary to remember that the university or college is not inspected. It will be up to you to analyze the rent until you sign the lease, which will range from six months to one year.


This is one of the first activities you'll need to do, particularly if you're close to the start of your career. You can get a student number and Identity Card when you register. This will come in handy when you pick up the student deals at a wide range of department shops, restaurants and cafes, as well as public transit that you'll soon have access to.

Getting Connected

Choosing the right mobile phone or internet plan is important, particularly if you want to adhere to a tight budget. There are different suppliers in Canada for foreign students that can fulfil the needs and budget. You can choose between prepaid or monthly contracts. Prepaid costs tend to be more costly than contracts, but can be cost-effective based on how much you use the phone.

How to Get a Social Insurance Number?

If you plan to work part-time in Canada as a worker, you will need a Social Security Card (SIN). As a foreign student in Canada, you are allowed to work for up to 20 hours a week as a student during the semester and on holiday as much as you like.
A SIN is a nine-digit number that will allow you to work in Canada and grant you access to a multitude of government services and benefits. You will most certainly get the confirmation of the SIN letter on the same day and it is free of charge. It's best not to cart this around with you, but to keep it in a safe spot. We will also recommend that you get to Service Canada early since there can be a bit of a delay. These were some of the most important things that you must take into consideration when planning to study in Canada.